The printing subsystem supplied with Tru64 UNIX is based
on the OSF implementation of the Berkeley Software
Distribution (BSD) lpr/lpd printing subsystem. It uses LPD
protocol, defined by RFC 1179, to exchange print job
requests with compliant remote hosts and printers.
- Industry standard RFC-1179 LPD protocol ensures
interoperability in heterogeneous environments.
- Familiar command set (lpr, lpq, lprm,
- Simple to configure and manage.
- Configuration tools lprsetup and printconfig
provided for setting up print queues.
- Internationalized for use with users and printers in
- Increases availability in the
TruCluster Server environment.
- Integrates with
Advanced Printing Software.
- Support for many
popular printer models.
drivers for previously unsupported printers.
The LPD print system components include the lpd daemon
process, client programs for submitting, listing, and
removing print jobs, printer filter programs, and printer
filter data files. It also includes the lprsetup
program and the printconfig GUI utility for setting
up print queues.