For easy, flexible data
management, high data availability and optimum performance
Respond quickly to your changing business and data storage needs
with advanced file system (AdvFS) and AdvFS utilities software. An array
of on-line maintenance, performance, and reconfiguration options ensure
your data is available when and where you need it.
Included with your Tru64 UNIX operating system, advanced file system
provides a range of features designed to increase system administrator
and end-user productivity. Its advanced architecture takes full
advantage of symmetric multiprocessing, for optimum performance, while
optional AdvFs utilities software increases your configuration
Advanced file system benefits
- Reboot in seconds - no matter how large the file system,
transaction journaling ensures quick recovery from unexpected
events, such as power failure.
- Flexible configuration - Volumes can be a single disk partition,
an entire disk, or an aggregated volume. Multiple filesets can share
a common pool of storage.
- Mirroring for availability - Supports Compaq Logical Storage
Manager software, so you can create and monitor mirrored volumes
Advanced file system utilities benefits
- Reconfigure online - Lets you transparently reconfigure file
systems without disrupting users or applications.
- Reconfigure to meet your needs - You can add and remove volumes as
needed. When you remove a volume, AdvFS automatically migrates files
to remaining volumes without interruptions.
Advanced file system utilities
The advanced file system utilities delivers tools for capacity
expansion and management tasks. By providing your application
environment with an available file system during backup, reconfiguration
and re-sizing operations, the advanced file system utilities contribute
directly to reducing system management costs.
- Easy-to-use menus, alert icons, and status information, with
comprehensive online help gets you up to speed in no time.
- You can conveniently start-up layered applications without leaving
- Trashcans let users recover files they've accidentally deleted.
Nondisruptive, online maintenance
- Alert icons indicates potential trouble and lets you resolve
issues before they become problems.
- Create a read-only snapshot clone of the fileset online, while
users and applications access the original fileset.
- Backup the clone at your convenience, using AdvFS backup services
or other backup products.
Flexible reconfiguration - on the fly
- Data remains online for use while you add and remove files,
defragment files, and balance space usage.
- You have complete control over the logical structure of file
systems and allocation of storage volumes.
Fine-tune for performance
- Improve file access time by defragmenting files that have been
stored in noncontinuous portions across the storage media.
- Assign frequently accessed files to high-performance volumes.
- Balance free feature that balance free space among volumes and
spread the I/O load among multiple disks to achieve faster i/o.
- Improve read/write performance by striping (large or frequently
accessed files) across multiple volumes.
For more information on advanced file system utilities, please
local sales representative.